Intelligence Analysis is a learned skill.
All it takes a keen eye, an inquisitive nature and the ability to ask the right questions.
This week, I’m sharing the best FREE online Intelligence Training Course available.
This free course provides a great introduction to Intelligence theory, analytical techniques, and critical thinking!
These are all important foundations for good intelligence analysts.
Here’s my review of the Level 1 Intelligence Analyst Certification Course on Udemy.
What is the Level 1 Intelligence Analysis Course?
The course focuses on ‘explanative analysis’, providing students with an understanding of how to explain events or circumstances.
- When, &
In his later courses, Robert provides students with Level 2 ‘explanative’ analysis, which discusses the ‘why’ of an event.
In his Level 3 ‘predictive’ analysis course, students are taught the predictive element of Intelligence analysis or how to assess ‘what will happen next’.
Who is this Level 1 Intelligence Analysis Course for?
This course is perfect for people interested in learning more about the fundamentals of intelligence analysis.
It’s a solid ‘primer’ for people interested in learning more about intelligence analysis.
What you will learn?
In this short course (2.5hrs) Robert provides an introduction to the type of structured analytical techniques used by intelligence analysts today.
- Decision and Event Tree
- Link Analysis
- Devil’s Advocate
Who is Robert Folker?
Robert is a 32-year veteran of Intelligence with a proven track record of tactical, operational, and strategic expertise in intelligence analysis. He is a graduate of and former instructor at the USAF Weapons School and earned a Master of Science in Strategic Intelligence from the National Intelligence University.
What is Udemy?
Udemy is an online learning platform similar to ‘blackboard’ used by colleges and universities to host online learning.
Courses are provided in a slide format with text and audio. Extra resources can be uploaded and made available to support online learning.
What I liked about Level 1 Intelligence Analysis Course
- The course was very accessible, and structure broke down the content into small, more manageable bits.
- Smaller lectures, designed by topic
Improves / Fixes
Personally, I prefer to learn from explanation and visual, rather than reading.
- I would have preferred more images and videos, rather than text-based slides.
- I would like to see more practical examples, (explain, demonstrate, practice).
- Clipart is weak and speech bubbles are stupid.
- Often large chunks of text – I don’t lean by reading, especially if someone is also talking.
My Favourite Quotes from the Course
The purpose of intelligence is to reduce risk to an acceptable level.
“We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true” – Sir Francis Bacon
Convergence vs Divergent thinking. The key to good analysis is to be able to switch from these different mindsets and employ different tools to problem solve.
- Divergent. All analysis and problem-solving should begin in the divergent mid-set. This process makes use of the imagination and creativity to produce ideas and explore different solutions to a problem.
- Convergence. Allows people to group like ideas, and focus on solutions.
Level 1 Intelligence Analysis Course provides a great introduction to intelligence analysis.
Robert effectively imparts his knowledge and experience of intelligence theory and analytical tools.
Recommended for students, or junior analysts providing an introduction to the foundations needed to build analytical minds and improve critical thinking.
I recommend anyone interested in intelligence training to complete the short course and apply the tools and techniques to their own unique area of intelligence.
For those wishing to improve their skills, and build on strong foundations – I recommend you take Roberts other courses on Udemy including his Level 2 ‘explanative’ analysis course and Level 3 ‘predictive’ analysis course also.
Want Premium Online Intelligence Analysis Training?
Intelligence101 is now proud to offer our premium Online Intelligence Training Course currently open to students.
In our course, you’ll learn:
1. How to process information in a way that helps you think outside the box and develop your problem-solving skills.
2. Understand how Intelligence Agencies collect classified information (through HUMINT, SIGINT, IMINT, OSINT, etc) and turn it into advice for both decision-makers and door kickers alike.
3. Put on your analytical thinking cap by working through a real scenario and applying your Intelligence skills and new Analytical techniques.