Intelligence Analysts process raw information to create Intelligence.
Intelligence Analysts play a pivotal role in converting raw data into actionable insights known as Intelligence Products.
These experts navigate the intricate paths of the Intelligence Cycle to produce reliable and timely information.
Understanding the Role of Intelligence Analysts
Just like a business analyst seeks to understand the inner workings of a business; profit and loss, debt ratios, and earnings to provide business advice.
An Intelligence Analyst seeks to understand a problem to provide Intelligence Assessments.
- Business Analysis —> Business Analyst
- Economic Analysis —> Economic Analyst
- Intelligence Analysis —> Intelligence Analyst
But what does an Intelligence Analyst actually do?
An Intelligence Analyst identifies and prioritizes information gaps.
They set Intelligence Collection priorities and task appropriate Sources, Agencies, and resources then analyse what the information might mean.
Intelligence Analysts research and process raw Information to produce Intelligence in the form of briefs or written assessments to inform decision-makers.
They use the Intelligence Cycle to create Intelligence.
What’s the day-to-day function of Intelligence Analysts?
On a daily basis, Intelligence Analysts receive and read new information from a variety of sources.
Intelligence Analysts collate, evaluate and analyse sensitive and secret information to provide timely and accurate Intelligence on a particular issue or problem.
The process, overall, is about collecting and evaluating information to create Intelligence to support informed decision-making.
As an Intelligence Analyst in one organization, your roles, capabilities, and tasks will be vastly different from another.
To see a typical day in the life of an Intelligence Analyst – Check out this article on the Intel101 blog here.
What special skills are needed to be an Intelligence Analyst?
Intelligence Analysts must have a natural ability to consider information and situations.
Here are the Top 10 Skills Deemed Essential For Intelligence Analysts (in 2020)
So, what exactly is Intelligence
Well, if you Google the term ‘Intelligence’ you’ll return millions of different results referring to Intelligence as:
- Cognitive function,
- Mental ability, or
- The ‘application of knowledge.
For our purpose, these are all WRONG!
When we talk about Intelligence we’re talking about:
- The Intelligence Cycle,
- Intelligence Analysis,
- Spying / HUMINT & Espionage,
- SIGNT, Surveillance & Counter-Intelligence, and
- Collecting information and turning it into actionable Intelligence.
We’re talking about revealing their secrets while protecting our own.
From Information to Intelligence
Would you like to:
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the Intelligence Cycle and the Foundations of Intelligence Analysis?
- Learn how to make Intelligence collection plans and write Intelligence Briefs?
- Understand Intelligence Collection methods including HUMINT, SIGINT, IMINT, GEOINT, and OSINT?
- Compile Strategic Analysis and deliver Oral Briefings?
- Apply your Intelligence training to different roles and environments including Law Enforcement, Military, Counter-terrorism?
- Develop your critical thinking and learnt to use various analytical methods?
- Understand the impact of Intelligence in multi-disciplinary roles?
- Then join us in our interactive Intelligence Training Course today.