SALUTE Reports allow Intelligence Analysts to quickly assess important aspects of an enemy force.
SALUTE Reports are a quick way to remember what information is most important when assessing the enemy forces.
If you’re a Military Intelligence Analyst (or assessing any adversary), use the SALUTE Report technique to breakdown the elements of the enemy.
How to use SALUTE Reports
SALUTE reports include:
- Size and/or strength of the enemy.
- Actions or activity of the enemy.
- Location of the enemy and direction of movement.
- Unit identification. The designation of the enemy unit may be derived from unit markings, uniforms worn, or thorough information provided by enemy prisoners.
- Time and date the enemy was observed.
- Equipment and weapons observed.
Example – Indian Border Security Force
For Size, “a squad/ section ” of 8 soldiers.
For Activity, ‘Section conducting security patrol along boarder region’ or any version of this answer.
For Location, I would accept ‘Disputed border region between India and Pakistan, approx 27km from Wagah’, or ‘along Patishmire-Kalay Road if such information is available’. Otherwise, an 8-digit grid coordinate will suffice.
For Unit/Uniform, If identifiable, provide the type of uniform. Here I would accept Indian Border Security Force uniform, or any other specific and accurate answer.
For Time, use the time best suited for your operation. This is usually your local time unless you’re supporting an operation from a foreign location. .
For Equipment, There’s two distinct weapons in the image; one is the IWI Tavor TAR-21 assault rifle, and the other appears to be an INSAS Rifle (Indian Small Arms System), the standard infantry weapon of the Indian Armed Forces.
Get out a sheet of paper and write down S-A-L-U-T-E in a column.
Take 2 minutes to write a SALUTE report for the next scenario.
Write a SALUTE report for the scenario above. Post in the comments below.
From Information to Intelligence
Would you like to:
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the Intelligence Cycle and the Foundations of Intelligence Analysis?
- Learn how to make Intelligence collection plans and write Intelligence Briefs?
- Understand Intelligence Collection methods including HUMINT, SIGINT, IMINT, GEOINT, and OSINT?
- Compile Strategic Analysis and deliver Oral Briefings?
- Apply your Intelligence training to different roles and environments including Law Enforcement, Military, Counter-terrorism?
- Develop your critical thinking and learnt to use various analytical methods?
- Understand the impact of Intelligence in multi-disciplinary roles?
- Then join us in our interactive Intelligence Training Course today.